Thursday, April 29, 2010

Another day, another cookbook

 I received an email this morning from the library system letting me know that a novel I'd requested had come in.  The kids and I had no concrete plans for the day so after we'd been through our Pop Go The Wiggles CD once we headed out to the library.  I love the library.  I love books.  I love to read.  There are so many important things that I want to teach my kids but one of the most important to me is a love of reading.  K has it in spades.  That boy loves books.  In fact, I've had to punish him for reading in bed.  Now, before you bookworms start yelling, let me clarify.  It's not the reading in bed per say that I object to, I used to read under the covers when I was little, it's the reading before his nap that bothers me.   He's a bear if he doesn't get enough sleep or if he hasn't had enough time to wake up (I'm not looking forward to life with teenage K.)  I know how compelling a good book is.  I really do.  I didn't read novels through university because I'd stay up until 2 or 3 am until the book was finished.  When it comes to a good book I have zero will power.  Back to K.   I know it's hypocritical to punish him for reading in bed when I used to do the same.  But I was the ripe old age of 6 when I started reading under the covers and K is merely 3.  I promise I won't do it when he's actually reading!


Back to our library visit.  We took out 5 or 6 books for the kids, a few mags for me, the novel that was on hold, and a cookbook.  K chose the cookbook and I think it was an inspired choice: Sara's Secrets for weeknight meals by Sara Moulton.  I've always enjoyed Sara Moulton on The Food Network and am looking forward to I haven't had a chance to go through it yet but I will.  And then I plan to cook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment