Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Supper at the Zoo

Last night we has some friends over for supper.  It seemed like a good idea at the time. Three boys, ages 5, 4, 3 and one girl, 16 mos, and two sets of parents.  That makes for 8 bodies and an unbelievable amount of noise.  The cacophony that those little bodies can produce is amazing.  Fun was had by all.  All the little bodies that is.  Ha Ha.  No, really, we all had a good time.  We may even do it again.  :)


I made a double batch of The Pioneer Woman's Simple, Perfect Chili and decided to try it with Rachael Ray's Dinner Sized Texas Chili Cheese Fries.  In an effort to be veggie conscious, we also had bowls of cucumber, red pepper and orange peppers.  To make sure there was ample food for all eight people I decided to double both RR's potato wedges and the cheese sauce.  I should not have doubled the cheese sauce.  What was I thinking?  The kids didn't eat too much of it; my two ate a respectable amount but the visiting kids wouldn't touch it.  Maybe they found the mustard flavour a little offputting.  Who knows.  The adults ate ridiculous reasonable size portions.  Of everything.  There is a meager amount of the chili left, almost no potato wedges and a TON of cheese sauce left.  I really should have known better.  I often find RR's portion sizes much too big for me.  (But that's usually OK because then I end up with leftovers and I love leftovers.  I love them.  I often find myself eating them straight out of the fridge a la Nigella.)  


But what do I do with the leftover cheesy mustardy goodness?  I'm not tempted to eat it straight out of the fridge, though it is delicious.  I'm thinking about mac & cheese with some sort of ground meat.  I've got ground pork in the freezer and with some sausage like spices I think it might be quite nice.  Hmmm.  I think this may be what we're having for supper tonight.  With a large spinach salad.  Yum!  I'll let you know how it goes. 


Oh, I almost forgot.  I made prune cake for dessert but my friend brought leftover mango mousse birthday cake so we had that instead.  After the guests had left and the kids were in bed, my hubby and I tried the prune cake.  After my second piece I brought half of the cake to the neighbours.  I couldn't get it out of the house fast enough.  They were dubious when I told them what it was (sorry PW, I don't have a poker face).  It's taking every ounce of will power to stay away from the Tupperware with the cake.  Must.  Not.  Eat. Cake.  Will there be any left when my parents arrive Friday afternoon?  Probably not.









0 comments:

Post a Comment