Friday, May 28, 2010

Toffee Shortbread Anyone?

When it comes to baking, very little can not be improved with the addition of toffee bits.  Yum yum!  They are an integral part of more than one of my favourite cookie recipes.  I made these for a BBQ on Victoria Day weekend.  


The first time I made these cookies I ate almost all of them myself in two days.  Since then I've been able to use a little more restraint but just barely.  If you should try to freeze them so that you stop thinking about them sitting on the counter I won't mention that they are almost as good frozen.




Toffee Shortbread Cookies
Makes approx 4 doz


1 c     butter
1/2 c  icing sugar
2 t      vanilla extract
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c  cornstarch
3/4 t   baking powder
1/4 t   salt
1 c     toffee bits

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy.  Scrape down the sides and beat again for another minute or two.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.  Stir half into the butter mixture and mix.  I didn't mix for too long and I scraped down the sides and let the mixer go around a couple of more times.
  4. Stir in toffee bits and remaining flour mixture.  Mix until combined but do not over mix.  This means stay close and don't let the mixer keep going once everything is together.
  5. Roll dough into small balls and place on prepared cookie sheet.  Should I ever get a small ice cream scoop for making cookies I would use it here.  But I don't have one so I did my best to make them all the same size.
  6. Bake in the oven for 14 - 18 min, rotating the cookie sheet half way through.  I only put one cookie sheet in the oven at a time with these as they have given me some trouble.  The blame really lies with my finicky oven and not so much with the cookies themselves.
  7. Let cool on the cookie sheet for approx 2 min and then remove to a cooling rack.
  8. Dust with more icing sugar if desired.  I've never done this but some of you may like to.
Raw cookie dough deliciousness.


15 cookies ready for the oven.


A minute or two to cool before moving to the cooling rack.



1 comments:

Scatteredmom said...

Ohhhh....and if you drizzle chocolate on top they'd be just like a Skor bar.....

(drool)

Post a Comment