Monday, August 23, 2010

Beautiful Beet Salad

I never ever thought that I would be writing about beets.  I have hated them, and rutabaga, for my entire life.  My mom still waxes poetically about how I left the teaspoon of rutabaga on my tongue as a baby.  I really don't like it.  Turnip - the white and purple taproot - are delicious.  Or at least I think so.

Anyway, this post isn't about rutabaga or turnip but rather beets.  I've always loved the colour of beets but never ever the taste.  Not in a house, not with a mouse.  I did not like them here or there, I did not like them anywhere!     And, unlike character Sam hounded in the famed Green Eggs and Ham, I had tried beets.  Over and over again.  My parents weren't ones to let us get away with not eating something just because we didn't like it.  We had to have a small serving regardless of our preference.

The kids and I went to a friend's for a play date a few weeks ago and she asked me if I liked beets and how about a beet salad for lunch.  And so I decided to give beets another try.  I don't know if I love beets in all of their forms but I certainly like beets like this.
Beet salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette  and goat cheese.  Yum!  I liked it so much that I bought more beets at the farmer's market this week so I can make it again.

Balsamic Beets with Goat Cheese

1 bunch of beets
goat cheese to taste
Balsamic Vinaigrette to taste - I used Oh She Glows Better Than Bottled Balsamic

Boil the beets until tender.  When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into bite sized pieces.
If you like your beets more on the pickled side, pour the dressing over the beets while still warm.  If you go for less pickled-like beets, wait until the beets have cooled before pouring the dressing.
Add goat cheese to taste when serving.

Enjoy the beety goodness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment