Thursday, August 19, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes

I had a hankering for scalloped potatoes after reading about them on a food blog.  I no longer remember which of the multitude of food blogs it came from but it doesn't really matter.  Except that you're not going to be able to read the blog.  I apologize for that.  I also apologize because I'm not going to list the 40ish (ok so maybe it's more like 50ish) food blogs I try to follow.  Call me lazy.  It's most appropriate.
I think every family has their own scalloped potato recipe.  This is the one that I use most often.  And by that I mean the once or maybe twice a year I make this.  I confess: we're not big potato eaters.  Please don't hold it against us.  It's not that we don't like them but rather that I rarely think of making them.

Scalloped Potatoes
slightly adapted from Lighthearted Everyday Cooking by Anne Lindsay

8 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (I used the 2mm blade on my food processor)
1 large onion sliced
2 T flour (I used heaping tablespoons)
Salt and pepper
2 c hot milk (I used P's whole milk rather than K's 1% because his was running low.  I say use whatever floats your boat.)
1 c shredded part-skim Cheddar cheese (I used Swiss cheese because it was starting to become one with my freezer)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Oil a 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil.  I'm not convinced that this has made my pan any easier to clean but, olive oil is good for you so give it a try!
Arrange one-third of the potatoes over the bottom; sprinkle with half of the onion, then half of the flour.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Repeat layers; arrange remaining potatoes over top.  Pour hot milk over.  Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.

0 comments:

Post a Comment