Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rustic Plum Tart

Tomorrow is Farmer's Market Friday - which I intend to post on Friday this week - so I though it time to inventory the fridge and see what we need.  Know what I found?  An empty fridge.  Almost empty anyway.  Save for the condiments, of course.  Aside from leftovers from todays lunch, mini pizzas on naan bread, there are some yellow plums and lonely beets left.  Conclusions to be drawn: the kids are off plums for the moment, and I'm a little intimidated by the beets but that's a story for another time.

What to do with approximately 1.5 pounds of yellow plums?  Make a rustic plum tart of course!  I was inspired by a recent blog post over at Dinner with Julie.
Rather than type out the recipe  I'm just going to link to it: Dinner with Julie   Her tart looks so much nicer than mine.  I had delicious sugary pie juices all over my parchment paper.  Some of it was salvageable but other parts are burnt to a crisp.  It was bound to happen.  Really, it was.  I am a pie crust novice.  As I was rolling out the crust it was getting all the cracks that didn't seem to want to be fixed.  I could have put the dough back in the fridge and started again in another hour but my audience, was demanding that I finish in time for tonights dessert.  I think my mistake was not making the disk large and flat before putting it in the fridge to chill.  This will all make sense if you hop over and read Julie's recipe.
See, look at that.  This should be called a Rustic Plum Tart, Heavy on The Rustic.  Oh well, it's still yummy.  Very tart (no pun intended); some of the plums weren't ripe.  I think M will really enjoy it.  And he won't judge me on its looks!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some very rustic plum tart to eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment