Monday, August 9, 2010

New Favourite Breakfast

Let me introduce you to the Green Monster.  Sounds odd, no?  This delicious beverage is really a spinach smoothie.  I never thought I would be regularly enjoying a spinach smoothie for breakfast.  But I am.  And so is P.  And it's teaching her how to drink from a cup.  Woohoo!
Start with 2 large handfuls of spinach.  I used organic baby spinach because that's what we buy at Costco.
Add a little water and steam in the microwave for 3ish minutes and then put into the bottom of an empty blender.
Next I added 1 cup of milk, a banana, 1 cup of frozen blueberries and 1T of chia seeds.  Here comes the fun part: Blend your little heart out.  When it looks smooth and delicious, add some ice and blend some more.  I usually add about six ice cubes.  (Please excuse the messy kitchen.  Hard as I try entropy always wins.)
And there you have it, my new favourite breakfast.  This recipe, if you can call it a recipe, makes approximately 2 glasses this size.  I have about 1.5 glasses and P finishes the other half.  If K has some too then I'm down to about 1.25 glasses.  No matter, it's very filling and I don't feel the need to snack or eat anything until lunch time.

If you'd like to read more about these marvelous green concotions, check out: greenmonstermovement.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment