Friday, June 4, 2010

Food Revolution Friday - BBQ

I've been having a hankering for grilled pork for almost two weeks.  We went to a friend's house for BBQ Victoria Day weekend, the weekend before Memorial Day for any American readers, and had the most amazing pork grilled on the barbecue.  I was moist and had a sweet crunchy exterior.  Why did it take me two weeks to get organized I have no idea but it worked out.  While shopping at my beloved Costco this week I finally picked up some pork loin chops.  And they were even on sale.  Excellent!  I took them home and got to work.


The big secret to the pork: coleslaw dressing.  The moist and delicious pork was marinated overnight in coleslaw dressing.  Who would have thunk it?!  I've long known that salad dressings can make wonderful marinades but it never ever would have occurred to me to use coleslaw dressing.  For starters, it's not usually one I have in the house.

I used NoName coleslaw dressing but will experiment with a homemade version over the course of the summer.  I used a generous amount of dressing, covered both sides of the pork really well and then stuck it in the fridge.  I flipped the pork pieces over about halfway through the marinating.  I have a Tupperware Season-Serve® Container which made it very easy.  After putting the pork and the dressing in the container I didn't have to touch it again.  Until it was time to grill that is.

To accompany the pork I sliced potatoes on a mandolin and and prepared tin foil packets.  In one of them I used olive oil margarine and salt and in the other olive oil margarine and bread dipping spice.

To assemble the packets:
  1. Place a large piece, about 2 feet or so, of tin foil on the counter.  I think Jamie Oliver suggests using two pieces of foil or a double layer just in case there's some tearing.  I'm sure he's right.  I only used a single layer.
  2. Spread some butter, margarine or olive oil on the bottom.
  3. Make 3 or 4 rows of potatoes, overlapping slightly.  Salt and or spice the layer and repeat.  I wouldn't make more than 3 or 4 layers.
  4. Dot the final layer with butter or margarine or drizzle with a little olive oil.
  5. Take the two short sides and bring them together.  Start folding them over in approximately 1 cm folds.  Make sure the folds are tight and sealed well.  
  6. Seal the ends with the same 1 cm folds.  Again, make sure the folds are tight.
  7. Place them on a barbecue at low to medium-low heat.  I started on low and then increased it a little because the pork cooked so quickly.


The olive oil margarine and salt potatoes after the kids had dug in.

Sliced potatoes with olive oil margarine and bread dipping seasoning - Sicilian blend.  I forgot to take a picture of these before digging in.  My bad.
Between my camera and Blogger this poor picture just would not right itself.

The aforementioned bread dipping spices.

K's plate - again my camera, computer software and Blogger were conspiring against me.  One day I will rectify the problem.

P about to dive at her potatoes or grab the camera.  I don't remember which.



0 comments:

Post a Comment