Monday, June 7, 2010

Perfect White Bread

Dear Bread,

I love you.

My parents gave me this cookbook when they were downsizing.  Prior to today I've only ever used it to make our family favourite pancakes.

This book is going to fall apart on me.  I've reinforced a number of pages already.

I don't think I've ever taken so many pictures while making something.  Even so, I missed the one of my stand mixer kneading the dough.  Just imagine it's here.  This is the next step: form the dough into a ball and place into an oiled bowl to rise for approximately 1.5 hours.  

I let the dough rise for almost 3 hours because the kids and I had to go out.  I don't think it hurt anything.

Oh, just remembered another picture I forgot to take.  After punching down the dough, I divided into two and let it rest for 10 min.  Sorry, no picture.  Please use your imagination.  Each ball was rolled out and rolled up, a la jelly roll, into a loaf.  Once in the loaf pan I left the dough to rise until it doubled in bulk.

After about an hour the loaves had at least doubled in size.

Thirty minutes in a 400F oven yielded these beauties.  The black marks on the top of the loaves are from the rack above the one I baked them on.  Guess I should have taken it out.  Oops.

YUM!

K was double checking that the loaves were indeed as hot as I said they were.

And there is is.  The perfect white bread.

I slathered the first piece, still piping hot, with butter.  K and I shared it.  P refused.  She's a little weird about bread.  Some days she likes it, other days not a chance!


Perfect White Bread
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 2 loaves


1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4t)
1/4 c warm water
2 c milk, scalded
2 T sugar
2 t salt
1 T butter
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 c sifted all-purpose flour

  1. Soften active dry yeast in warm water (110F).
  2. Combine hot milk, sugar, salt and butter.  Cool to lukewarm.
  3. Stir in 2 c of the flour; beat well.  Add the softened yeast; mix.
  4. Add enough of remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
  5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and satiny (8 to 10 min).  Or, use the dough hook attachment on a stand mixer and knead on the second lowest speed for 5 - 6 min.
  6. Shape into a ball; place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
  7. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 1.5 hours - or 3 if you need to run out).
  8. Punch down.  So much fun.
  9. Cut dough into 2 portions.  Shape each into smooth ball; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  10. Shape into loaves: With rolling pin, flatten dough to 15x7 inch rectangle.  Roll up like a jelly roll starting at narrow side.  Seal at each turn with fingers.  Press down on ends of loaf with sides of hands to make 2 thin sealed strips.  Fold strips under loaf as it is put into loaf pan so bread will have smooth crusts at both ends.
  11. Cover and let rise till double (45 to 60 min).  Bake in hot oven (400F) 30 - 35 min or till done.  If tops brown to fast, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment