Saturday, July 10, 2010

Is it syrup or is it jam?

Seems like this should be an easy question to answer, and I guess it is.  I started out with the intention of making blueberry syrup and ended up with blueberry jam.

There were some aging blueberries in the fridge and rather than throw them out (the horror!), I decided to try to make a syrup.  I, again, turned to Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.  Are you really surprised?  I had about half the amount of blueberries he suggests but no matter.
I did forget that I was halving the recipe before I added the cornstarch and water and thus my blueberry syrup turned into jam.  Oh well.  Kids didn't know it was supposed to be syrup and they are quite happy with the jam.  One taste and P was asking for more.  Poor girl has to wait until morning!

Blueberry Syrup, or Jam
Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

1 c blueberries
1/4 - 1/3 c water
1/4 - 1/3 c sugar - this is really a matter of taste.  I wanted mine sweet
1/2 T cornstarch mixed with 1/2 T water - for a more jam like consistency use 1 T of each
splash of lemon juice (optional) I think it's optional but most find they need it to cut a little of the sweetness

Mix the first four ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened.  This will take approximately 10 minutes.  Taste, carefully now, don't burn yourself, and add more sugar, water or the splash of lemon juice as desired.

Keeps in the fridge for about a week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment