Friday, July 9, 2010

Farmer's Market Friday

Rain.  And lots of it.  That's how we started our day.  I kept hoping that the rain would let up so we could have a dry trip to the farmer's market but we had no such luck.  I'm actually quite grateful for the rain; it's watered our desperately dry lawn - for free!  It's also come with a cooler air mass so we have a temporary reprieve from the humidity of the past week.  (Which I love but not everyone has air conditioning.)
This week's loot: red new potatoes, wax and green beans, cauliflower, peaches, apricots, mini cucumbers, raspberries, zucchini, strawberries, white nectarines and cilantro.

M & P stayed nice and dry in the car while K & I did our best to stay dry as we shopped.  I'm so proud of my little man.  Not only does he know that Friday is the day we go to the farmer's market, he really enjoys choosing the produce.  I wanted a basket of white potatoes and asked him to choose the basket for me.  He choose red ones instead.  So we bought the red ones.  It maybe because he doesn't remember our having bought them before.  Kind of like when he insisted we buy the white cherries.

Meal ideas for the next few days: Jamie Oliver's Vegetable Jalfrezi with his Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice (to use up the cauliflower), new potato and bean salad (will post recipe and pictures after I make it), and plenty of salads with cucumber and steamed zucchini.  How I love steamed zucchini!  Ever since reading about how Trainer Momma finds it very filling I've been adding to my salads or making it one of our vegetable side dishes.  I've always enjoyed zucchini but never thought about just eating it steamed.  I was missing out.  The kids love it too.  Last night the had pizza with a side of steamed zucchini (1 each) and they both ate it before they touched their pizza.  And before anyone points out that they might be saving the best for last, I don't think they are old enough to consciously decide to do that.  Certainly not P.  Maybe K.  Anyway, let's not ruin my proud mummy moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment