Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pasta a la Caprese

While much of Ontario, Quebec and parts of the US are going through a heat wave, I'm not inclined to do much that adds to the heat in the house or strain the hydro system.  Not be a good time to loose power!  This recipe requires only minimal stove time and can be served hot, room temp or cold, thus allowing it to be adapted to your needs.




Pasta a la Caprese
Taken from Lovingly Prepared Dishes, a charity cookbook prepared, in 2005, by Revenue Canada's Legislative Policy Directorate (or whatever they were called then or are called now)


1 lb pasta: something short like penne or ziti
5 c tomatoes (12 plum tomatoes or 4 large ones - I used a combination of red and yellow tomatoes) thinly sliced lengthwise
3 to 4 smashed cloves of garlic (typo in my recipe book: it calls for smashed gloves of garlic HAHA)
1 long thing, red or yellow sweet pepper thinly sliced (I use two large peppers, often one red and one yellow)
20 leaves fresh basil, torn into pieces
1/2 c olive oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
1 t salt (I leave this out because of K and P.  We add our own salt at the table.)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
8 oz mozzarella cheese cubed (I use grated mozz because that's what's in my freezer)
Parmesan cheese for the table


At least 1.5 hours before serving, combine tomatoes, garlic, sweet peppers, basil, oil, and s&p in a bowl large enough to contain both cooked pasta and sauce.  Let stand without refrigerating.  I cover it with plastic wrap or the like just to keep the misguided flies and other bugs that have taken up residence in my kitchen out.  (I often prepare this in the morning or during K&P's afternoon nap and let it stand until supper time.)
Cook the pasta according to the package directions or however you like your pasta cooked.  While the pasta is cooking, add the cheese to the sauce.  
Drain well and add to the sauce and cheese mixture.  
Mix quickly but well.
Serve immediately*.  Pass the Parmesan cheese for those needing more cheesy goodness.


*This is also excellent cold or even at room temperature.  I think the recipe should say serve as you like. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment